Although obtaining Iran visa is not so tricky, there are guidelines to be followed and documents to be prepared before you board the plane bound for historic Iran. In order to speed up the visa obtaining, the government has enabled getting visa on arrival. All types of visa defined by the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran can be applied for through the online Iran visa application portal. Notwithstanding, some types of visas for the citizens of some countries should be applied only in person through the relevant Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran. To obtain an Iranian visa, a registered Iranian citizen or company must host the traveler. Receiving an Iranian tourist visa takes 2 to 10 working days(Saturday to Wednesday).
- The valid passport should at least have a 6 months validity.
- The timeframe prescribed return ticket
- The filled out the application form
- two off-white background pictures in passport size
- Iran visa fee
- Authorization application code(Given by Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs online)
Visa on arrival
Except for Canadian British, Colombia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, IndiaSomalia passport holders, every traveler has the possibility of applying for an Iran visa at the airport on arrival. Iran visa on arrival usually has 30 days’ validity and issued at six airports in Iran. The citizens of the mentioned countries must submit application forms to the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. And deliver their detailed resume. Keep in mind that there is a small chance you will not be granted for visa on arrival and have to pay for the flight.
Which Countries Can Have Iran Visa on Arrival?
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, citizens of the following countries are allowed to have an on arrival visa in Iran:
Azerbaijan, Albania, Germany, Argentina, South Africa, Austria, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Spain, Australia, Slovenia, Slovakia, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Ukraine, Italy, Ireland, Bahrain, Brazil, Bronti, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria Herzegovina, Portugal, Peru, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, China, Denmark, Russian Federation, Romania, Japan, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Oman, France, Palestine, Cyprus, Kyrgyzstan, Qatar, Croatia, South Korea, North Korea, Cuba, Kuwait, Georgia, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Poland, Malaysia, Hungary, Mongolia, Mexico, Norway, New Zealand, Venezuela, Vietnam, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Greece, Tanzania, and India.
Airports you can enter with an Iranian airport visa:
- Imam Khomeini Airport(Tehran)
- Kish International Airport
- Qeshm International Airport
- Bushehr International Airport
- Shahid Dastgheyb International Airport (Shiraz)
- Tabriz International Airport
- Shahid Hashemi Nejad International Airport(Mashhad)
- Chabahar International Airport
Free trade zones
The foreign travelers are allowed to go to free zones of Iran such as Kish or Chabahar, without a visa and they can get a 14-day residence permit when entering, but if you are about to stay for more than 14 days; You should inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs so that the necessary measures can be taken for your further stay.
- Arvand Free Zone
- Aras Free Zone
- Chabahar Free Trade-Industrial Zone
- Maku, Iran
- Qeshm Island
- Kish Island
- Citizens of a few special countries are not allowed to travel to Iran, due to political and diplomatic considerations. The mentioned people should refer to the relevant Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran if necessary.
- Citizens of Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Syria, Egypt, Bolivia and Venezuela are exempted from obtaining visas, meaning that they can enter our country without a visa and stay for a certain period of time.
- The tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the moment of issuance. The validity period of an Iran airport visa is 1 month and is issued only at Iran International Airport.
- Visa on arrival is only available at the airports, not at the land borders yet.